Chronology of Erode's History

Erode has a rich history that dates back to the reign of Pandyas around 590 CE. Historians say that at that time the area was occupied by tribes and Kosars were the most important among these tribes. “Kosamputhur’ or the modern day Coimbatore was the capital of the Kosars and these tribes were defeated by the Rashtrakutas. Rashtrakutas were defeated by the Chola rulers and these Chola rulers ruled the city and the area till 13th century. After that the place came under the rule of the Second Pandyan Empire and contemporary Madurai was the capital of these Pandya kings. After the death of Kulasekara Pandian in 1308 CE, Erode came under the rule of the Delhi Sultanate and the Erode Sultanate was an independent part of these Delhi rulers. Gradually Erode was annexed by the Vijayanagar Empire in 1378 CE and was under the rule of the Vijayanagar rulers until 1559 CE. The Madurai Nayaks ruled Erode from 1559 Ce to 1736 CE when Erode was reportedly captured by Mysore rulers several times, and Hyder Ali became the king of the region. After Hyder, Tipu Sultan, his son became the ruler of Erode and in 1799 Tipu was defeated by the East India Company. From 1799, the Kongu region as it is locally known stayed under control of the British East India Company who had restored the power to the Maharaja of Mysore. Erode remained under direct British rule until the Indian independence in 1947.
Erode history

Chronology of Erode City

922: Levying of Marriage and burial tax by Cholan Paranthagan.
944: Beginning of the digging of "Thazhi" Lake at Kollampalayam.
1079: Cancellation of hanging for killing of culprits (it was one of the first instances of this kind of rulings by any ruler in India)
1204: Subsidy granted for Sivan Temple.
1265: Kalingarayan Canal completed.
1275: Subsidy granted for Perumal Koil.
1340: Subsidy granted for Sivan Temple.
1420: Construction of Sripatha Mandapam (Carridor) at Perumal Temple.
1502: Palamedu Maaniyam (Subsidy) for Sivan Temple.
1527: Lakkapuram maaniyam (Subsidy) for the both temples.
1588: Digging of Kamalapushkarani pond.
1628: Commencement of Chandramathi Mudaliar Madam (Choultry)   
1630: Kandirava Narasaraja Temple construction work.
1640: Renovation of Fort by Thirumalai Naicken.
1643: Commencement of Muthu  Veerappa Naicken Choultry.
1656: Battle of "Mookkaruppu"
1672: Battle of Mysore
1779: Arrival of "Swards Pastor"
1790: Medows Captured Erode.
1791: Erode annexed to East India Company.
1799: Commencement of "Company Governance" Capital in Bhavani.
1804:Change of District Capital from Coimbatore to Bhavani.
1815: Kongalamman koil construction work commenced.
1819: Introduction of Cotton Crop.
1830: Work of "London Mission" starts.
1860: Erode becomes the Taluk Headquarters
1862: Erode jail starts functioning
1871: Erode municipality created.
1871: First census (population 10,201)
1876: Famine and cholera
1878: Famine is curbed, but the Erode Fort is destructed.
1882: Kauvery flood.
1917: Start of CSI Hospital or the ‘Gosha Hospital’
1918: Beginning of water distribution
1923: Compulsory education imposed
1934: Appointment of First Municipal Commissioner
1939: Municipality turns III Grade.
1940: Municipality turns II Grade.
1945: Streets are electrified.
1949: Municipality turns I Grade.
1981: Municipality turns Special Grade.
2008: Municipality is upgraded as Erode City Municipal Corporation.
2010: Under Ground Drainage Sewerage Scheme Started
2010: New Office Building at Rs.5.00 Cr Constructed

1543
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - Chronology of Erode's History

Loader